|From 1998 until now the Irish history pages on this site covered topics from 800AD to
1998. These were arranged as a series of topics. They proved immensely popular.
these are now being slowly replaced, by a completely new and much improved
history of Ireland that is being especially written for this site! The
replacement process is proceeding chronologically.
Features of the new history pages include:
- Available in two levels of detail - full history and summary
history - to suit all needs.
- Individually prepared maps illustrating key points inserted at
appropriate places in the text.
- Illustrations to reinforce understanding of cultural and historical
- A new section on most pages covering everyday life in the period.
- Recommended books listed throughout the text with the ability to
purchase there and then.
- Fully cited sources and references.
Understandably, there is a lot of work to be done. The process of replacing the
original history pages will take place throughout 2001. The graphic below illustrates how
this is proceeding. Bookmark this page and check back regularly!
||30,000 BC - 1300AD
Ice Age, Stone Ages, Celts, early Christianity, Vikings and the Norman Conquest
Click here for details
||The Norman Decline 1300-1450
|Still to be Written
||1450 - 2001
The Medieval and Modern periods.
You can still read the original history pages.
Note that special in-depth sections of
modern history ARE complete. These are:
The Great Famine 1845-49
The Troubles 1969-
The Omagh Bomb 15 August 1998
of this site?